Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.6 ohm resistor for LM317?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTango

As my sig line suggest, Im a n00b...

Ive got a 3w LED that I want to drive with an LM317 in current regulation mode. I need 800ma to drive the LED per the specs I received.

Running the requirements though the calculations, I came up with needing a 1.6 ohm resistor with 1w of power handling.

Now, where the HECK do I get that?? :D

Im in the US, and my most local source of parts is Radio Shack. I dont see where they have any 1.5ohm resistors (refer to sig line again, ha)

I am still trying to understand resistors in series and parallel. Can someone take the time to help me learn and calculate, based on the availability of what is at the Radio Shack website, what resistors I need, how to wire them and why, so I can calculate this for myself (and possibly help someone else) in the future?

Many thanks-
"Lost and Confused" Andrew

Last edited:
Firstly, 1.5 Ω is probably close enough.

If not, two 3.3 Ω resistors in parallel would be 1.65 Ω

Resistors in series simply add the resistance.

For resistors in parallel, take the inverse of each resistor, add up the inverses and invert the sum to give the total resistance.

The power in each resistor is V*I, or V^2/R or I^2*R. They are all the same. You must keep the power less than the rating of the resistor.

It is a good idea to keep the power a lot below the rating of the resistors, as resistors running at their rating get alarmingly hot.

As my sig line suggest, Im a n00b...

Ive got a 3w LED that I want to drive with an LM317 in current regulation mode. I need 800ma to drive the LED per the specs I received.

Running the requirements though the calculations, I came up with needing a 1.6 ohm resistor with 1w of power handling.

Now, where the HECK do I get that?? :D

Im in the US, and my most local source of parts is Radio Shack. I dont see where they have any 1.5ohm resistors (refer to sig line again, ha)

I am still trying to understand resistors in series and parallel. Can someone take the time to help me learn and calculate, based on the availability of what is at the Radio Shack website, what resistors I need, how to wire them and why, so I can calculate this for myself (and possibly help someone else) in the future?

Many thanks-
"Lost and Confused" Andrew

Here is a good link to understanding the math of resistors in parallel.
**broken link removed**

Just take a standard value like 12 or 24 ohm and plug in the values until you get the correct number of resistors for an answer.

An excellent resistance calculator program I use is ResCAD. Available at :
Directory of /~rstevew/Public/Software ....download Rescad.zip and extract. Allows you select different % accuracy resistor ranges then gives you possible resistor combinations for needed series, parallel, or dividers...and the % error. :)

Ken

16' of #30 AWG = 1.6Ω.

1.5 and 0.1Ω in series also get you there. Check out wired 2W resistors.

You might as well use a 1.5Ω/1W carbon film resistor. It will gain more resistance with increasing temperature.

Besides that, the LM317 reference voltage differs slightly from the nominal value.

Best advise: Try the sample of the regulator you have and check what current it produces at 1.5Ω. For that value the reference voltage must be 1.2V (instead of 1.25)

Boncuk

I just got back from the shack, the setup works perfect! However, I think 120 deg viewing angle of the LED is not giving the focus I would like to have seen.

BTW, I also have a 600lm 10w LED which when I applied power, was so bright I think I still see a spot from it!

Andrew

That sounds expensive!

It was $20 with free shipping from China, Ill post the seller's info and a video here soon, the daughter is on my 'main' computer right now, Im on the ham bench laptop.

I bought it to try it out, damn the LED is bright.

Andrew

A very bright LED can easily blind you.
Didn't your LED melt with 12W and no heatsink?

Cool video, very bright LED. Dude your man cave is a mess ;) But then again so is my den.

Yes watch the heat-sink requirements or keep the pulse durations low.

Lefty

1.6Ω is a standard E24 5% resistor value.

What's the maximum current rating of the LED?

The voltage regulator reference can vary by 4%, giving a maximum of 1.25×1.04 = 1.3V

A 1R6 resistor will have a minimum resistance of 0.95×1.6 = 1.52Ω.

The maximum current = 1.3/1.52 = 855mA.

If the LED has an absolute maximum current rating of 800mA and you're unlucky with the component tolerances then the LED might be damaged.

If the LED has an absolute maximum current rating of 800mA, then use a 1R8 resistor which will give a maximum current of 760mA.

If the LED has a absolute maximum current of 1A then 1R5 is fine since the maximum current will be 912mA.

This is prime example of why pushing components to their absolute maximum ratings is a bad idea.

Last edited:
With the LED on full time, it does get hot. With it pulsed like in the video, not near as hot as full time.

Dont worry guys- Its getting a heat sink. :p

Ill use some aluminum flat stock and some thermal grease to boot.

Ill show you the finished product as soon as I can get it finished, HA HA!

Cheers,
Andrew

Hero, thanks for the info! That will help in future projects.

The LED (in the video) is rated max 1a, the 718 is wired with 1.6ohm so I think Im driving it with 800ma.

Thanks for your contribution,
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back