Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.5v 'joule thief' pic micro power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I've built a couple of torches using the joule thief idea and they work well.

Has anyone built a joule thief or similar to power a pic at a regulated +5, I need enough current to run the micro and maybe a couple of leds and a max232.

There are boost regulators which work from 1 AA battery, would they work? I have used one to power a PIC and an infrared LED. They are inexpensive and work well for the entire capacity of the battery. I would recommend you try and run the PIC and LEDs from 3.3v unless you really need 5v.

You can see the board I designed below, the LED is on the other side - it works great but don't expect a huge runtime unless you minimise current usage. The boost chip is an MCP1640 form Microchip.

View attachment 66027

Hadnt thought of using a proprietry chip.
Comments on 3.3 are valid, the only exception there though is the max232 needs 5.
I'm going to try just putting a 5.1v zener across a joule thief circuit rigged up on some breadboard, so long as theres enough inductance in the transformer might work.

What do you need the MAX232 for? Are you interfacing with RS232 or do you just want to talk to a PC?

If you just want a PC then look at the new FTDI USB chips, small footprint and powered by the computer.

I stumbled upon this a few years ago:
**broken link removed**

Regards.

Great Mickster, I can use the pic to regulate its own voltage.

I could power the max232 from the rs232 port on the pc its connected to, the circuit is a data logger, however I'd like to power the whole thing from 1 battery.

Heres something I found ineteresting with google, one supply that works entirely on its own saving i/o pins and software, and another that self starts and can be controlled via software.

http://wiki.waggy.org/dokuwiki/electronics/joulethief#adjustable_microcontroller_power_supply

Last edited:
I'm using a Voltage convertor to run my pic anamometer,I have it set for 3.3Volts, it runs w/ just 1 aa .
and they come in adj. or fixed versions up to 5volt

Last edited:
What device is that Joe?, and is it dil or smd?

max 1722,1723 or 1724. these are the ones I am currently using. they are smd, variable or fixed Voltages, these supply up to 0.15A, I using them on a small solar project that is running at 3v and 27ma max. and it's been running for a couple of months now. Some of them supply up to 2 amps? I use them on led flashlites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back