Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.5 to 3a buck converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

Greetings

I'm looking for recommendations on controller / regulator ICs to build a 1.5 amp (minimum) switch mode buck (or buck-boost) converter.

Application will be a constant current source for 1.4a Luxeon III red-orange stars.

Input voltage 12 to 15vdc
Output voltage 6 to 12vdc
Ouput current 1400mA to 1500mA

the biggest feature I'm looking for is the constant current output of course, but I also need some way to dim the output - pwm input preferablly but regular analog is good to (like 100% or 50% output). also a low 'band gap' or refrence voltage is crucial - idea is to get away from burning power resistors. 250mV or less is ideal

I was looking at the HV9910, but it doesn't seem really suited to handle low-voltage DC to DC conversion... but it has all the nice features I need

I found the MIC4682, and it looks interesting - I'll be ordering some samples soon unless someone's tried one already and it sucks? ... none of my US suppliers carry the chip, which turns me off

I found a few on the Linear.com website, but I'm hesitant to order samples since they cost so much, and none of my US suppliers carry the parts, which is a turn off!

Supplier's I've checked: Digi-key (prefered, they're real close), Mouser, Newark, Jameco

Thanks for any input!

justDIY said:
Input voltage 12 to 15vdc
Output voltage 6 to 12vdc
Ouput current 1400mA to 1500mA

I was looking at the HV9910, but it doesn't seem really suited to handle low-voltage DC to DC conversion... but it has all the nice features I need

Everything you've mentioned indicates the HV9910 is ideal for what you want to do. Any DC/DC converter other than this type of current mode PWM is way more complicated and less effective.

What did you see as the problem?

sorry for the delay in my reply.

The problem I have with the HV9910 is the step-down configuration requires Vin => 2Vout (according to their datasheet).

That won't work for automotive applications, unless I want to build a largely parallel string of leds.

I have tried their flyback buck-boost configuration, but I'm not able to get it working properly. I setup a breadboard, following the formulas in Supertex App Note AN-H49 "Buck-Boost-based LED Drivers using the HV9910"

The calculations indicate I need a 6uH inductor with a peak current rating of 8 amps (?!)... well, smallest I have is a 10uH inductor rated at 20a

So I plug the inductor in there, and fire up my circuit, dumping the output into a bank of power resistors, measuring the voltage drop, I'm only seeing approximately 600mA into the resistors, less than half the output I configured Rsense to deliver (0.16 ohms)

I'm using a 7 amp hour 12 volt "gel cel" as my power source, voltage at the battery is about 13.2

The other problem I have with the hv9910 ... in the main datasheet, the formula for buck-boost mode are different than the formula in the app-note ... and they yield grossly different inductor sizes. Any idea why this is, and which one is possibly correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back