Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.2V to 5V@100mA max mini power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search boost regulator or boost converter from Linear or Texas Instrument.
What's your input? An AA cell? 100 mA output current seems too high for that.

100ma at 5V is 0.5W.
If you have a 1.2V rechargable battery cell and you boost its voltage to make the 5V then the current from the 1.2V cell will be more than 0.5W/1.2v= 417mA. A 2500mAh AA Ni-MH cell will last for less than 6 hours.

bananasiong said:
Can the little AA gives the output current of 400 mA?
Hi Banana,
Look at the datasheets for battery cells at www.energizer.com:
1) An alkaline AA cell has an internal resistance of from 150 milli-ohms to 300 milli-ohms when it is new. Then its max current (into a short) is 10A or 5A.
2) A Ni-MH AA cell is shown to have a good output for 20 minutes with a 5A current drain.
3) My electric RC airplane's motor draws about 12A from its Ni-MH AAA cells.

Hi Gayan, I'm not talking about the capacity but the output current :)

Thanks audioguru, I just recalled that I've used a few NiMH AA cells in series to run a DC motor at a few Amperes.
Why not only 400 mA :p

12V 15 amps?
That's 150 amps at 1.2 volts asuming 100% conversion effciency, which will never happen, you'd never make a parallel NIMH battery bank that large.

Don't be ridiculous. Stepping up the voltage steps down the current.
A Ni-MH AA battery cell might be able to provide 1.2V at 2A for a couple of seconds but you are stepping up its voltage which steps down its current to only 200mA, not 15A.

If you want 12V at 15A then the 1.2V source must provide 150A.

Simply calculate the power. The battery is 1.2V x 2A= 2.4W. But you want 12V x 15A= 180W. You need 178 more AA cells.

Attachments

• AA Ni-MH cell..PNG
    AA Ni-MH cell..PNG
    49.8 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Agreed, it's a silly idea.

You're better off connecting ten D cells in series but even then, they'll last of less than an hour.

If you need voltage regulation connect 12 D cells in series and use a buck converter.

Make sure you use real D cells, not AA batteries with extra padding.

For a sensible option use a lead acid battery or if it's too heavy go with lithium but you need to be careful charging it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back