Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.2KVA UPS Battery Problem ? ( Will it explode or ... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 1.2KVA UPS. Now its 2 and half years old. It has Two, 12Volt 8.2AH batterys. So those batterys r now very weak. It cant hold much now.
My UPS is not a branded one also ( Power Tree ). Its cost me 81 USD.

So my question is, if I replace those batterys with big Capasity battery ( like one 45AH car battery ) actually what will happend ?

It will explode or Will it worke as usual ? :confused:

Thanks guys:)

Last edited:
It should work as normal, but just last for longer - the only concern is if the electronics are rated for the extended time? - it 'may' be under heatsinked because the batteries are specced to not allow it to run very long?.

But personally I'd stick the larger batteries on and try it!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It should work as normal, but just last for longer - the only concern is if the electronics are rated for the extended time? - it 'may' be under heatsinked because the batteries are specced to not allow it to run very long?.

But personally I'd stick the larger batteries on and try it!.

Ha Ha haaa... Then I must try it and see what happend.

Hey when the battery is charging do u think it will charge like normal 8.2AH battery. ( my UPS is cheap Off Line Type )

And i have another proble. Actually what is da meaning of Amper Hours?

If I connect a 1Amp bulb to 8Ah battery, Light will light up for 8 hours. Is that the meaning of Amper Hours ? Or is there any other complicated explanation ?

pasanlaksiri said:
Hey when the battery is charging do u think it will charge like normal 8.2AH battery. ( my UPS is cheap Off Line Type )

It will just take longer to charge.

And i have another proble. Actually what is da meaning of Amper Hours?

If I connect a 1Amp bulb to 8Ah battery, Light will light up for 8 hours. Is that the meaning of Amper Hours ? Or is there any other complicated explanation ?

That's basically it.

Where I used to work 10yrs ago they had a large UPS backing up the the main paging terminal. There were 600Ah of batteries connected externally to boost the run time up to 48hrs in case of a pwr failure. Worked like a charm.

kchriste said:
Where I used to work 10yrs ago they had a large UPS backing up the the main paging terminal. There were 600Ah of batteries connected externally to boost the run time up to 48hrs in case of a pwr failure. Worked like a charm.

I think those types of UPS r make for heavy work load.

kchriste said:

Fine if cost is no object! - but I wouldn't like to think what that cost!.

Funnily enough, I was talking to a rep at work a few years back, and he used to work for a company that supplied UPS's and backup generators. One installation they had done was for 'Demon Internet', one of the first UK Internet suppliers - and they installed a large UPS system, along with an automatic generator. As a major ISP Demon were obviously VERY dependent on the power keeping on, so there was a strict penalty clause written in the contract.

Anyway, there was a MAJOR power outage, and as required by the contract Demon telephoned the company to inform them the generator was on and working fine. The rep I was talking to then realised that the fuel tank on the generator was only of 24 hour capacity - and the major outage was going to last longer then that. So he tried to arrange a diesel tamker to go and refuel it - couldn't be done - it was down a small alley way, with no access for a vehicle. Meanwhile, the clock was ticking down!.

In the end, he hired a van, went to a local cars accessories shop, and bought ALL their fuel cans - and put them in the van. He then drove a few hundred miles to London, filled the cans with diesel, drove to Demon - and carried the cans down the alley way to fuel the generator.

Apparently he got in big trouble with his company for doing this, yet he saved them a major law suite and compensation claim!.

Last edited:
Thier Should Be No Problem Unless The Batteries Have Discharged Bolow A Set Threshhold The Charge Cuurrent Limit Circuit May Prevent The Oversized Batts From Charging ./ In Which Case You Have To Use A Seperate Charger Till You Get The Bats Up To Vol.tage Again.

Edge

Nigel Goodwin said:
Fine if cost is no object! - but I wouldn't like to think what that cost!
It backed up the main paging terminal in the network. If it went down, the entire network would go down so cost wasn't an issue. Paging isn't as big today as it was back then when a reputation for coverage and reliability was everything.
He then drove a few hundred miles to London, filled the cans with diesel, drove to Demon - and carried the cans down the alley way to fuel the generator.
Sounds like something my ex boss would have had us do. I've had my share of cold trips to the tops of mountains in the dead of winter to fix a duff repeater. Here are a couple of pics from a trip where the pilot tells us "Call right away if the weather appears to be getting worse or else I may not be able to come back for you today" just as we bail out into 6ft of snow:

Attachments

• Heli.jpg
    Heli.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Site.jpg
    Site.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 200
kchriste said:
It backed up the main paging terminal in the network. If it went down, the entire network would go down so cost wasn't an issue. Paging isn't as big today as it was back then when a reputation for coverage and reliability was everything.

Sounds like something my ex boss would have had us do. I've had my share of cold trips to the tops of mountains in the dead of winter to fix a duff repeater. Here are a couple of pics from a trip where the pilot tells us "Call right away if the weather appears to be getting worse or else I may not be able to come back for you today" just as we bail out into 6ft of snow:

Oh My God ! Its worth than life huh:D

Hey, I connect my 45Ah car battery to my 1.2KVA ups. Then I switched it On and run it for 10 minuts without any load.

There is a small Bridge Rectifire, its getting very hot. So i replace it with this

**broken link removed**

After i test it with load for 20 mins [ 100W CRT and my pc ( 500W PSU ) ]. That bridge rectifire is also get hot but not that much. And it has some FETs with heat sink, those are get hot but not that much.

So now im going for buy a car battery for my UPS.:)

So now im going for buy a car battery for my UPS
Buy a deep cycle battery instead. Like the kind for RV's and boats. It'll last much longer in this application than an ordinary car battery.

pasanlaksiri said:
Oh My God ! Its worth than life huh:D
It was more unpleasant than dangerous. There was power up there, the shack was heated and there was a generator with a weeks worth of fuel. The wind had blown most of the snow away from the shack but near where the helicopter landed was the 6ft snowdrifts. It was into the snowdrifts that our test equipment was dropped and we had to dig it out. Still, it was better than trying to drive up the mountain in the 4x4 and getting stuck or worse; careening off the cliff.

Hello everyone!

Sorry by bringing back old topics, but I prefered that instead of creating a new one. I have a Panasonic KX-A16 ups for a phone switching unit, and I wanna overhaul it with a car battery, because no spare parts exist today.

1. Apart from charging slower, it's dangerous for the circuit?

2. It's true that Ni-Cd automotve batteries should be shaken periodically? (i.e. not for stationary use), so can not be used to do the trick?

3. I understood running the circuit longer than designed may shorten the inverter life, but can just heatsinks and fans solve te problem?

(It is a very dumb question, but I don't know, maybe keeping the temperature low could spare me the components change and upgrade... or perhaps not?)

Thank you so much, in advance

Re-check your battery chemistries. Never heard of a NiCd automotive battery. What is the chemistry of your Panasonic phone ups?

the UPS is equipped with Sealed NiCd, working voltage of 13,xxx volts at 7.xxx amps
You need to look again. Most UPS systems use sealed lead acid. I've never heard of a "Sealed NiCd". UPS batteries are rated for amp/hours, seldom "amps".

This is too important to be guessing, or working from partial memory. While you're at it, measure the battery. They come in fairly standard sizes. If the UPS does actually use NiCd, then you cannot use Lead-Acid.

In the end (and probably even short term) the cheapest solution is to use the correct battery. Where are you located?

Last edited:
You're right Mneary, I was thinking about it and talk about sealed NiCd it's ridiculous, because there are no "non-sealed" NiCd!.

Nevertheless, I got confused by the caps on the top of the batteries, I have seen Pb acid batteries in this size and for the same application.

Here is an ugly pic
**broken link removed**

I appreciate your warning about the right values, I'm looking foward pick up the UPS again, and re check them.

But Im still wondering, can a UPS, equiped with a (i.e.) 13.0 V. 7.0 amperes/hour Lead Acid batteries, charge and use an automotive 12V, 60 ah/hour Lead acid? And should automotive batteries be moving and shaking periodically? I mean, not to be used as stationary Battery.

Thank you in advance!!

pd: I live in Bogotá, Colombia, and here is very easy to get any kind of electronic equipment, new or used (Imagine a RadioShack of the size of a district hahaha). I know get the new battery is easier, but this is more for DIY proud and learning a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back