Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0-volt-stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I also have invented another useful circuit: the no-pass filter. This is the dual for the all-pass filter.

You can implement it with LC components, opamps, or digital filters.

Essentially at the input you have a low pass filter followed by a high pass filter.

For optimal operation, the cutoff frequency of the low pass filter must be at least a couple of decades lower than that of the high pass filter, and the filter's response at least third order.

Schematic! Schematic! :D

Well I also have invented another useful circuit: the no-pass filter...
I think synthesizers.com beat you to it:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

But I was wondering, is your no-pass filter passive or active?

I've got a few projects I've been working on in my spare time though:

Phase-Unlocked Loop: Useful if you need two signals to never be the same phase or frequency. Or if you have a PLL circuit but lost the key to unlock it.
But Gate: Now you can never say "No buts!" again! Once I have that perfected, I'll start work on the ButMom gate and the Maybe gate.
Bidirectional Diode: Conducts in both directions, so you don't have to worry about polarity.
No-directional Diode: Doesn't conduct in either direction. Complement to the bidirectional diode.
Uncapacitor: A device with capacitance measured in negative (micro/nano/pico)farads. Useful for eliminating parasitic capacitance in circuits. My initial plan is to use electrolytic caps with the "+" and "-" leads reversed.
Unresistor: A device with negative resistance. It'll pull electricity through a circuit and cause a current flow even when there's no voltage. If successful, this could be a breakthrough in perpetual-energy technology.
LETs: Light-Emitting Transistors. Self explanatory. Reduces parts count in many projects.
Field-Effect Bipolar Rectifying Unpolarized Insulated Gate Unijunction Epitaxial Zener Transistor (FEBRUIGUEZT): Eliminates the need for eleventeen different kinds of transistors in your parts box. Can be used in place of those pesky diodes too.
Wireless Wire: Eliminate all those messy wires.
Sandals: An alternative to flip-flops.

Last edited:
KPATZ:
Wow, you have got an impressive list here. I'm going to write to the Nobel Prize comittee in Stockholm and nominate you for Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and probably Literature!;)

I also have a few of my own;

Wire with Gain A wire on which you have -say- 2 volts on one end, and 5 on the other end.
Noise Amplifier Filters out any useful signal, and amplifies the residual noise plus adding some distortion of its own.
Voltage De-Regulator Its name says it all: A clean, regulated voltage input, a completely unregulated on its output. Must add some ripple too. Comes in two flavors; non-linear and un-switching.
Bipolar battery An alternative to the bidirectional diode.

And of course, who can forget about the Write Only Memory invented by Signetics.

Wire with Gain A wire on which you have -say- 2 volts on one end, and 5 on the other end.
Maybe we can collaborate and combine my wireless wire with this. Wireless with Gain! :D

Noise Amplifier Filters out any useful signal, and amplifies the residual noise plus adding some distortion of its own.
Oh yeah, I also have plans for inventing a De-Amplifier. Sometimes you need less than unity gain.

Bipolar battery An alternative to the bidirectional diode.
One mustn't forget the AC Battery. This is really useful when you want to step up battery voltage with a transformer. But, it may soon be obsoleted by my other invention, a DC Transformer.

And of course, who can forget about the Write Only Memory invented by Signetics.
And for security-minded folks, there is the semiconductor version of a paper shredder, called Erase Only Memory.

Variable Zener Diode: Combines the technology of a potentiometer and a zener. Now you can have any zener voltage you need with the twist of a knob.

No-Resistor LEDs: These LEDs don't need space, energy, and money-wasting current limiting resistors.

Flashbulb LEDs: Early unsuccessful prototypes of the no-resistor LEDs. Useful for use in vintage cameras if flash bulbs are unavailable.

Dark Emitting Diode (DED): A diode which emits dark instead of light. Also known as a black LED.

Uninsulated-Gate MOSFET: A MOSFET without the gate insulator. Eliminates that annoying lack of gate current, and also is immune to ESD.

0-to-11 Potentiometer: Adds unresistor technology to a standard pot, and also removes the upper wiper stop. Allows you to create amplifiers that "go up to 11."

PIC COBOL: A compiler that makes it possible for former mainframe application programmers to get into microcontroller programming.

Off-Off switch: A switch where both positions are "off". Useful for idiot-proofing circuits or preventing dangerous current flow.

No-Blow Fuse: A fuse which will never blow, so you'll never have to worry about having replacements on hand.

Last edited:
Didn't the Spinal tap movie years ago have amplifiers that went up to 11? You could be in for a long court battle on that one!

You had better get an honest and fair Lawyer who only charges you if you win to represent you! :p

(since we are making up things that sound good but dont actually exist.):D

Dark Emitting Diode (DED): A diode which emits dark instead of light. Also known as a black LED.
And then there's it's close relative, the Darkness Emitting Arsenide Diode (DEAD).

BTW, they make great flashdarks. Great for making a dark spot wherever you shine them.

Last edited:
Just when you need a laugh.

I'm dieing. I lost my belly muscles.

:p:p:p:p

Thank you.

Roff (DEAD):D:D:D

kv:D

Didn't the Spinal tap movie years ago have amplifiers that went up to 11? You could be in for a long court battle on that one!.......:D

Here is your proof. :) There are a few manufacturers of musical instrument amps that used this scheme to lure customers, including Marshall and Fender

Attachments

• volume_dials.jpg
    volume_dials.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
No-Blow Fuse: A fuse which will never blow, so you'll never have to worry about having replacements on hand.

The No-Blow Fuse has already been invented in Turkey.

I had an assignment for two years and had a Turk assisting me finding proper equipment to supply my electric stove and oven, amongst the items fuses.

The Turk asked me "Do you want fuses with or without wire?". I replied "with wire will do." We went to an electrician and bought all the stuff including three 16A fuses. When done I said "OK, I guess we have everything we need." The Turk said "No! we must have the wire too." I responded saying "There is a wire inside the fuse already". He replied "That wire isn't worth anything. I burns up very quickly."

He showed me his "wired fuse" at his home. There was the fuse body thoroughly wrapped with stripped 0.75mm² stranded wire to form kind of a basket.

He proudly said, he'd never had to replace the wire. :D

Where can I find an Analog/Analog converter (AAC)?

Might check the Electronics Deplorium, same place I purchased my Flyway Transformer and schmuck converter.

After my transformer flew the coop, I noticed the receipt said, All sells final.

Last edited:
On the theme of fuses, have a look at the ones on this electrical distribution transformer.

JimB

Attachments

• Kakinada Sept08 001.jpg
    Kakinada Sept08 001.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Kakinada Sept08 002.jpg
    Kakinada Sept08 002.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Kakinada Sept08 004.jpg
    Kakinada Sept08 004.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Speaking of fuses, on another forum I hang out on there is a thread asking where the fuse box is in a 2008 Sebring convertible. The thread has dragged on for a bit, until someone mentioned that their car has the fuse box "in the engine". (he meant to say "in the engine compartment"). But I had to have some fun with him, saying things like "so you have to take the cylinder head off to change a fuse"? and my final reply was "I got sick of taking the engine apart so last time I did it I replaced all my fuses with no-blow fuses and I haven't had to replace one since". :D

BTW, I'm looking for logic gates that can work with "2" as well as 0 and 1. Anyone know of any?

Last edited:
Let's not forget the photocapacitor, the temperature dependent inductor, the polarity mark on the 5-color band resistors.

That polarity mark on the resistor would be nice. I've lost count of how many times I've installed resistors the wrong way and had to unsolder them and reinstall in the correct polarity.

Another thing I've been looking for is a resistance regulator, to ensure a stable resistance with no ripple.

How about the temperature-compensated thermistor. Eliminates that pesky issue with standard thermistor changing resistance when the temperature changes.

The inverting wire: The output is 180 degrees out of phase with the input when used with analog signals, and it outputs a 0 when fed a 1 and vice versa when used digitally.

Reversible Transistor: Acts as a PNP when installed one way, and a NPN when installed the other.

The NPNPNPNPNPNPNPNPNPN Transistor: Because sometimes you need more than 1 or 2 junctions. Complements the PNPNPNPNPNPNPNPNPNP transistor.

The O-channel FET: Its characteristics fall exactly in between those of N-channel and P-channel FETs.

The Completion-mode MOSFET. It's always on regardless of the gate voltage.

Inverse LED: Lights up when no voltage is applied, and goes out when voltage is applied.

Unipolar Battery: A battery with only one terminal. Available in both + and - types. For standard bipolar circuits, use two unipolar batteries, a + and a - connected up to the appropriate supply connections of the circuit.

Stupidity Sensor: Outputs a voltage when stupidity is present. My prototype doesn't seem to be working properly though, as it's always outputting a voltage.

NEVER Gate: A logic gate that outputs 0 regardless of what's applied to the inputs. Complements the "ALWAYS gate" which always outputs a 1. Useful for situations where you need to make an unused input always high or low.

40120000 IC A 14-pin IC consisting of 12 NEVER Gates, with only the outputs brought out to pins. Pins are Vdd, Vss, and 14 output pins that always are low (0). Useful for providing logic low to inputs that need to be tied low. 74LS and 74HC versions of this chip are currently in the design stages and should be available sometime next year. For those needing more gates, 16, 18, 20, and 24-pin versions are also in the works.

40120001 IC Complements the 40120000. A 14-pin IC consisting of 12 ALWAYS Gates, with only the outputs brought out to pins. Pins are Vdd, Vss, and 14 output pins that always are high (1). Useful for providing logic high to inputs that need to be tied high. 74LS and 74HC versions of this chip are currently in the design stages and should be available sometime next year. For those needing more gates, 16, 18, 20, and 24-pin versions are also in the works.

Last edited:
Flashbulb LEDs: Early unsuccessful prototypes of the no-resistor LEDs. Useful for use in vintage cameras if flash bulbs are unavailable.

There is some prior art in this one...it is called smoke emmiting diodes.
In my early hobbyst days, circa 1975, I got my hands on a few LEDs but I didn't know how they operated, so I asked a person who "knew", and he told me that the only consideration was the polarity. No mention of a resistor, and he also had the polarity wrong.

Eager to test these fabulous devices, I went for the my only available DC source, my car's battery.
I opened the hood and connected the LED directly to the battery. The poor soul could not even flash, it just popped and smoked.

Here's a schematic for a 0V source I found on the web.

Please tell me where you got the schematic. I sure would like to get some examples schematics of consumer stereo equipment, mainly receivers, preamps and 70's type power amps, like Sansui.

I used to fix that stuff every day but have not touched it for 29 years. Now I'm interested in analysing the circuits for typical consumer gain, response and design style.

Last edited:
I found it in a google search, I forget what the site was. Google "messy schematics" and it's on one of the first few pages. ;) I edited it to add the "0V output" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back