Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0.5A resettable fuse/polyfuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

I can't find anywhere I can buy a cheap non SMD version from?

Tried ebay and Maplin. Is there another word I should be looking for to find what I want?

Thanks
G

PTC resettable fuse. Polyfuse, Polyswitch.

**broken link removed**

ETA: Ah! MikeMI beat me by a minute :)

Last edited:
Yes that is what you want. Although you shouldn't need such a large fuse. That circuit shouldn't draw anywhere near 500ma. I would get a fuse rated for less current, and I personally would probably just use a regular old fuse if I even used one at all on that ckt.

Last edited:
Yes that is what you want. Although you shouldn't need such a large fuse. That circuit shouldn't draw anywhere near 500ma. I would get a fuse rated for less current, and I personally would probably just use a regular old fuse if I even used one at all on that ckt.

what about this?

**broken link removed**

That would be fine. You will need to desolder and replace if it ever blows obviously, but the odds of that circuit blowing a fuse are about 0.000001% unless you wire it up wrong or have a short somewhere.

That would be fine. You will need to desolder and replace if it ever blows obviously, but the odds of that circuit blowing a fuse are about 0.000001% unless you wire it up wrong or have a short somewhere.

Thanks. Will do that.

However, I do think the odds of ME blowing it are higher than those suggested :)

When the schematic says 500mA... does it mean holding or tripping current?

i wouldn't advise trying it but from experiments with my laptop if I short the wires all that happens is power is cut for a period of time and is then turned back on. it shouldn't be that dangerous if you short your terminals for a short period of time.

HOWEVER I DO NOT YOU ADVISE PERSONALLY TRY THIS. IF YOU MAKE A SHORT AND IT BLOWS YOUR USB CONTROLLER I AM NOT PERSONALLY HELD RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY AND CANNOT BE TAKEN TO COURT OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT.

i wouldn't advise trying it but from experiments with my laptop if I short the wires all that happens is power is cut for a period of time and is then turned back on. it shouldn't be that dangerous if you short your terminals for a short period of time.

HOWEVER I DO NOT YOU ADVISE PERSONALLY TRY THIS. IF YOU MAKE A SHORT AND IT BLOWS YOUR USB CONTROLLER I AM NOT PERSONALLY HELD RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY AND CANNOT BE TAKEN TO COURT OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT.

Sorry, what??? I am entirely confused by your post...

Last edited:
Sorry, what??? I am entirely confused by your post...
sorry I was tired at the time when it was written :D

what I was trying to say was that if I short the +5v and ground wires a small resettable fuse inside my laptop trips cutting power to the ports and then resets after about 5 seconds after the short had been removed. And as I said don't blame me if your laptop doesn't have a fuse and you try it and your usb controller blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back