Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a controller modification

For context, my end goal is to have buttons that, when pressed, tell my controller that I'm touching a certain part of the touchpad. I got an idea from a reddit post about a similar-ish idea. Ignore what he's using the mod for, just looking at the pictures will let you understand what it does:

He puts conductive tape from the touchpad to somewhere else, which allows him to touch the tape with his finger instead of the pad, but the tape sends the signal to the touchpad. I want to do that but instead with buttons instead of touching the tape.

I've done some other mods where I soldered buttons (pretty sure they're called tactile button switches) to parts of the circuit to simulate button presses but I wanted to take it 1 step forward. I also saw online that alluminium foil also lets you do something similar to what the guy in the post did with conductive tape, so I tested with that. No matter how I position the button in contact with the foil, it won't activate the touchpad. Do I need the button to be connected to ground for it to send a signal?

Do I need the button to be connected to ground for it to send a signal?
It depends.
Is the pad designed for capacitive touch, resistive touch, ...? How are you setting the threshold of the capacitive touch? How close are the two capacitive plates for the touch pad? You're leaving out 80% of the story (design). Experimenting is doinking around until you get it to work. Engineering is designing a system based on physics, materials, and components with well specified properties. You are asking us to give engineered answers to a system you are experimenting with and have no datasheets, components or functional strategy for.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back